Metamucil is the brand name of a fiber supplement. They have several types of waters, capsules, powder. We will post Some of Metamucil benefits and side effects, the reason why you should consider to taking Metamucil products.
Metamucil is a medication that is mainly used for the treatment of IBS or irritable bowel syndrome which is an abdominal syndrome or disorder. Metamucil in medicinal form had been commercially launched as a medicinal brand in the thirties of the 20th century to deal chiefly with the various symptoms associated with IBS including diarrhea, constipation, abdominal cramps and difficulty in bowel movements. Metamucil, which is generically known as psyllium, is prepared from the seed pods of the plant which has the same name.
The seed husks of the plant which are fibers are the principal ingredient of Metamucil. Since one wouldn’t be able to take in psyllium fibers in the raw or natural form, these are tempered by adding artificial flavors to make them ingestible. Metamucil is marketed and sold in different forms including powdered mixes, wafers, biscuits, and capsules.
P& G now offers the Metamucil brand (that was formerly owned by G.D. Searle & Co.) of drink mix in various flavors including pink lemonade, berry, and orange. Metamucil’s psyllium husk contains more soluble fiber (at least five times more) than oat or wheat bran making it an excellent cholesterol reducer. However, to take advantage of the psyllium fibers in Metamucil that contains just about 2.4g of the husk per serving, one needs to take it on a daily basis.
Taking Metamucil Benefits
Metamucil fiber supplements have historically been consumed by individuals to cope with the symptoms linked to irritable bowel syndrome. Of the different treatment procedures that are used for dealing with IBS and keeping the same under control, management using psyllium husk is one. Metamucil powder can be added to water or milk where the fiber supplements combine with the liquid to turn into a gelatinous mass.
- Consumption of the Metamucil solution promotes the movement of toxic waste and bowels through the intestines thereby helping an individual to get relief from chronic constipation or diarrhea.
- Adding psyllium powder to a health supplement contributes to a slowing down of the absorption of saturated fats that may increase the LDL cholesterol content of the blood. Individuals are more vulnerable to strokes and heart attacks if the LDL or low-density lipoprotein (regarded as bad cholesterol) content goes up. Increased consumption of fibers goes a long way in reducing the uptake of unhealthy fats.
- Hypertensive persons who include more fibrous foods in their regular meals can look forward to a reduction in their abnormally high blood pressure levels. As fibers expedite the filtering out of waste products from the kidney and speed up bowel movement, blood circulation improves which in turn leads to a better functioning of the heart muscles thereby normalizing the high BP level. Drinking Metamucil solution routinely after meals greatly helps in restoring blood pressure to normal level.
- Increasing the consumption of foods that are rich in fibers or taking Metamucil on a daily basis can help reduce the insulin content in the bloodstream of diabetic persons. The American Diabetic Association suggests taking 25-30gms of fiber supplements to keep insulin levels under control. Overweight or obese people can consume Metamucil powder or psyllium fiber by mixing the same in a glass of warm milk or water regularly to lose weight.
- The fibers form a gel-like mass in the digestive tract giving you a feeling of fullness. This, in turn, enables you to take cravings or hunger pangs in your stride, and you don’t have the urge to have extra helpings during a meal. And eating fewer means you have a better control of your weight-loss program.
Side Effects of Metamucil
There are some common as well as severe side-effects that may result or persist owing to the consumption of Metamucil that is loaded with psyllium fibers. Some of the common side effects that occur from Metamucil intake are abdominal cramps and bloating. If the symptoms or issues persist then, it’d be better to get in touch with the physician or pharmacist who recommended the supplement in the first place.
If your doctor has recommended you to take this fiber supplement, he or she knows better that the taking Metamucil benefits far outweigh the risks associated with the side-effects. Nevertheless, most people who consume Metamucil routinely have reported having hardly any side-effects that might be jeopardizing or detrimental to health. Metamucil is also not known to cause any grave allergic reaction.
However, if you’ve acute swelling, itching or rashes in the tongue, throat or face or experience shortness of breath or dizziness, it is advised that you seek medical intervention without delay. You should contact the doctor as early as possible if you’ve any one or more of the following side-effects:
Make it a point to mention to the doctor if you’ve issues with swallowing or have appendicitis; suffer from chronic abdominal bloating or blockage; rectal bleeding, phenylketonuria or diabetes. Pregnant or lactating (breastfeeding) women should also report their physical and mental state before the physician can recommend the product to them. The doctor should be made aware of all prescription, recreational, non-prescription, nutritional, dietary or herbal drugs that you already might be taking.
Metamucil as a drug is classified under the category of laxatives and its intake without following the recommendations of a doctor, or medical practitioner may cause drug interactions. There should be a minimum time gap of 2 hours before or after taking other medications. You should take Metamucil with sufficient water or health drinks (at least one glass measuring 240 mm) to allow its safe passage without causing choking or swelling.
Also, intake of Metamucil might aggravate constipation and to check the same, you should drink sufficient water or fluids all through the day. Alternatively, keep yourself physically active, stick to a healthy and nutritious diet, and consume more of whole foods as well as eat more vegetables and fruits.